NEMA Excellence Awards
People are our museums' greatest resources, and NEMA's members are some of the most talented and dedicated people in the field.
NEMA is proud to honor our colleagues' extraordinary effort and commitment to the New England museum community. Help us recognize their achievements by nominating someone you admire for the 2017 Excellence Awards.
Who can be nominated for a NEMA Excellence Award?
- Any current NEMA member is eligible to win! Work at a NEMA member institution or business? That means you, too.
- You may nominate yourself or a colleague in the field, in the categories of ‘general’ or ‘specific’ excellence.
- Nominees can come from any level and department of an organization or business. They can be behind-the-scenes or on the front lines, the unsung heroes or the superstars. There is no requirement for time spent in the field (newcomers can be excellent too!).
What is "excellence"?
- General Excellence can be a practice or a deed worthy of recognition, such as:
- Making a sustained commitment to going above and beyond, regardless of job description;
- Showing a demonstrated passion for improving New England's museum community for and with colleagues, partners, and visitors;
- Performing an outstanding act of kindness, outreach, service, or imagination;
- Being an exemplary supporter, role model, leader, team member, or mentor for peers in the New England museum community.
- Specific Excellence recognizes effort, ingenuity, and innovation for a particular time-limited project or program, such as:
- Taking the lead on a ground-breaking new exhibition or renovation project;
- Developing a program or event which serves a new audience or brings in new collaborators;
- Creating a new method of accessing museum collections or exhibit ideas through a technological advance or interactive.
What do NEMA Excellence Awards recipients win?
- Recognition at NEMA's Annual Meeting during this year's conference, October 25-27, 2017 in Falmouth, MA.
- A profile in NEMA's journal, New England Museums Now.
- A press release to the winner's local media announcing the award.
How do I nominate someone or myself?
- Download the nomination form here. Fill out the form with your nominee's contact information and include a brief narrative or anecdote illustrating the nominee's commitment to excellence. Nominations are due by August 25, 2017.
- A panel of judges will review the applications and select up to six awardees for 2017. Last year's awardees are not eligible for this year's awards.
- Unsure of a nominee's NEMA member status? Contact Meg Winikates at firstname.lastname@example.org or (781) 641-0013.